Broccoli Rabe And Sausage Crostata
|Ingredients for filling:|
|Broccoli rabe||1 Bunch (100 gm), blanched|
|Italian sweet sausage links||3 (out of the casing)|
|Fontina cheese||1 Cup (16 tbs), grated|
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Salt and pepper||To Taste|
|Egg wash||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (1egg beaten with 1 Tbl of water)|
|Prepared pesto sauce||1 Tablespoon|
|Ingredients for crostata dough:|
|Flour||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Cold butter||8 Ounce, cut|
|Cold water||5 Tablespoon|
Method for crostata dough:
1) In a bowl, place the flour salt,sugar and butter.Mix with a pastry cutter or hands, until it resembles cornmeal.
2) Gradually add in the 5 tablespoon of cold water. Gather the dough into 2 discs, reserve one for later use. You may freeze the extra dough.
3) On a lightly floured surface,roll out the dough large enough to fit onto a parchment lined cookie sheet.(about a 12” circle) place in refrigerator until the filling is done.
Method for filling:
4) Blanch and saute broccoli rabe in garlic and olive oil,set aside. Saute onions with 1 Tbl of butter and 1Tbl olive oil, until caramelized.
5) Add sausage and brown while crumbling the sausage meat. Remove from heat.
6) Roughly chop broccoli rabe and add to saute pan,season with salt and pepper. Cool before spreading onto the dough.
7) Remove dough from the refrigerator. Brush the bottom of the dough with pesto.
8) Place the filling in the middle of the dough,spreading in a circle, leaving a 2 inch border all around. Now fold the exposed dough over the outer edge of the filling, forming a free form tart. Do not cover the filling completely
9) Brush the outer edge with egg wash and sprinkle the center with Fontina cheese.
10) Bake for 30-35 minutes at 375 degrees until the crust is golden brown on the bottom.
11) Serve warm and enjoy!
Feel free to make this crostata using any leftover vegetables such as asparagus, spinach, broccoli etc.