Italian Meatball Subs
|Nonstick cooking spray||1|
|Chopped onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Finely chopped garlic||3 Teaspoon, divided|
|Italian crushed tomatoes||14 1⁄2 Ounce (1 Can, Undrained)|
|Dried basil leaves||2 1⁄2 Teaspoon, divided|
|Dried oregano leaves||2 Teaspoon, divided|
|Black pepper||3⁄4 Teaspoon, divided|
|Red pepper flakes||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Lean ground beef||1⁄2 Pound|
|Chopped green onions||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Dry bread crumbs||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Parsley||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chopped|
|Dried marjoram leaves||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground mustard||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|French bread rolls||4 , warmed and cut in half lengthwise|
1. Spray large nonstick saucepan with cooking spray. Heat over medium heat until hot. Add onion and 2 teaspoons garlic. Cook and stir 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Add tomatoes with juice, bay leaves, 2 teaspoons basil, 1 teaspoon oregano, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper and red pepper flakes; cover. Simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove and discard bay leaves.
2. Combine meat, green onions, bread crumbs, parsley, egg white, water, remaining 1 teaspoon garlic, 1/2 teaspoon basil, 1 teaspoon oregano, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, marjoram and mustard in medium bowl until well blended. Shape into 16 small meatballs.
3. Spray large nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Heat over medium heat until hot. Add meatballs. Cook 5 minutes or until meatballs are no longer pink in centers, turning occasionally.
4. Add meatballs to tomato sauce. Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Place 4 meatballs in each roll. Spoon additional sauce over meatballs. Serve immediately.
Calories 517 Calories from Fat 62
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 7 g10.5%
Saturated Fat 2 g9.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 32.5 mg10.8%
Sodium 874.8 mg36.4%
Total Carbohydrates 88 g29.2%
Dietary Fiber 10.3 g41.2%
Sugars 7.5 g
Protein 28 g56.7%
Vitamin A 39.3% Vitamin C 40.6%
Calcium 19.7% Iron 36.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet