|Unwaxed lemons||4 Large|
|Superfine sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Water||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
1. Pare 6 strips of rind from 1 of the lemons, then finely grate the remaining rind from the remaining lemons, being very careful not to remove any bitter white pith.
2. Roll the lemons back and forth on the counter, pressing down firmly. Cut each in half and squeeze 1/2 cup juice. Add the grated rind to the juice. Set aside.
3. Put the pared strips of lemon rind, sugar, and water in a pan and stir over low heat to dissolve the sugar. Increase the heat and boil for 4 minutes, without stirring. Use a wet pastry brush to brush down any spatters on the side of the pan. Turn off the heat and stir in the lemon juice, then pour into a heatproof nonmetallic bowl and set aside to cool.
4. Remove the strips of rind from the syrup. Stir in the grated rind. Transfer to a shallow metal container, cover, and freeze for up to 3 months.
5. Chill serving bowls 30 minutes before serving. To serve, invert the container onto a cutting board. Rinse a cloth in very hot water, wring it out, then rub on the bottom of the container for 15 seconds. Give the container a shake and the mixture should fall out.
6. Break up the granita with a knife and then transfer to a food processor. Process until it becomes granular. Serve in the chilled bowls (or in scooped-out lemons). Decorate with sprigs of fresh mint, if desired.