|Milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Granulated sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||10 Tablespoon (1 1/4 Stick)|
|Active dry yeast||1⁄4 Ounce (1 Envelope)|
|Very warm water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Sifted all purpose flour||4 1⁄2 Cup (72 tbs)|
|Grated lemon rind||1 Tablespoon|
|Golden raisins||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Candied citron||4 Ounce, chopped (1 Container)|
|Pine nuts||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Pingolias)|
|10x confectioners sugar||2 Tablespoon|
1. Combine milk, granulated sugar, salt and 8 tablespoons (1 stick) of the butter or margarine in a small saucepan. Heat slowly, stirring constantly, just until butter melts; cool to lukewarm.
2. Sprinkle yeast into very warm water in a large bowl. ("Very warm water" should feel comfortably warm when dropped on wrist.) Stir until yeast dissolves, then beat in cooled milk mixture, eggs, and egg yolks.
3. Beat in 2 cups of the flour until smooth; stir in lemon rind, raisins, citron and nuts. Stir in 2 cups more flour to make a soft, sticky dough.
4. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, adding only enough extra flour to keep dough from sticking. Place in a greased, large bowl; turn to coat all over with shortening; cover with towel. Let rise in a warm place, away from drafts, 1 1/2 hours, or until double in bulk.
5. While dough rises, grease an 8-inch round layer-cake pan. Tear off a strip of foil long enough to fit around pan with a 2-inch overlap; fold in quarters lengthwise. Place around inside edge of pan; hold in place with a paper clip. (Foil will make a collar 1 1/2 inches above edge of pan.)
6. Punch dough down and knead in bowl several times; shape into a ball. Press into prepared pan; cover. Let rise again in a warm place, away from drafts, 1 1/2 hours, or until double in bulk. Lightly cut a shallow cross in top of dough with a sharp knife.
7. Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter or margarine in a small saucepan. Brush part over dough.
8. Bake in a moderate oven (350°) 20 minutes; brush with remaining melted butter or margarine. Bake 25 minutes longer, or until loaf sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from pan to a wire rack; cool. Sprinkle top with 10X sugar. Slice into wedges; serve.
Calories 874 Calories from Fat 281
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 32 g49.7%
Saturated Fat 14.8 g74%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 170.9 mg57%
Sodium 364 mg15.2%
Total Carbohydrates 134 g44.6%
Dietary Fiber 4.6 g18.2%
Sugars 50.9 g
Protein 16 g31.7%
Vitamin A 15.6% Vitamin C 7%
Calcium 7.6% Iron 33.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet