Italian Stuffed Squid
|Squid||1 Pound, cleaned (8 Large Size, 6 Inch)|
|Plain dry bread crumbs||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Chopped parsley||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Freshly grated parmesan cheese||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Garlic clove||1 Small, minced|
|Dried oregano||1⁄2 Teaspoon, crumbled|
|Black pepper||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Dry white wine||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Parsley sprigs||4 (For Garnish)|
1. Rinse the squid under cool running water and pat dry with paper towels. Finely chop the tentacles with a knife or in a food processor; you should have 2/3 cup.
2. In a medium bowl, stir together the chopped squid tentacles with the egg and bread crumbs. Stir in 1 tablespoon of the olive oil along with the parsley, Parmesan, garlic, oregano, salt, pepper and 1 teaspoon of the wine.
3. Using 2 to 2 1/2 tablespoons of stuffing for each, stuff the squid, using a small spoon or a pastry bag fitted with a plain 1/2-inch tip. Do not fill them completely; leave about 1 inch to allow for expansion of the stuffing. Close the top with 2 crossed toothpicks or sew up with dark colored thread. (Be sure to put the needle, away immediately after using it near food.)
4. Spoon the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil into a heavy medium skillet and place over moderately high heat. Add all of the stuffed squid and brown well on one side, 2 to 3 minutes. Turn and lightly brown on the other side. Add the remaining white wine and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat and simmer until tender, 30 to 40 minutes. Remove the squid with a slotted spoon and measure the cooking liquid; there should be 1/4 cup. If there is more, boil it until reduced to 1/4 cup. If there is less, add water to make 1/4 cup.
5. Remove the toothpicks or strings. Cut the stuffed squid crosswise into 1/2-inch slices and overlap them on plates. Spoon 1 tablespoon of the cooking liquid over each main-course serving, or divide it equally for first-course servings. Garnish with the parsley sprigs.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1107 Calories from Fat 454
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 51 g78.9%
Saturated Fat 13 g64.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1295.8 mg431.9%
Sodium 1344.4 mg56%
Total Carbohydrates 34 g11.2%
Dietary Fiber 2.5 g10.1%
Sugars 3.5 g
Protein 92 g183.8%
Vitamin A 47.3% Vitamin C 83.4%
Calcium 63.3% Iron 45%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet