Classic Farro Salad with Roasted Asparagus and Goat Milk Feta
|Chives||1⁄4 Bunch (25 gm), snipped|
|Cherry tomatoes/Grape tomatoes||1⁄2 Pint, halved|
|Feta cheese||4 Ounce, crumbled|
|For the asparagus|
|Asparagus||1 Pound, trimmed|
|Extra virgin olive oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Sea salt||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|For the vinaigrette|
|Meyer lemon juice/Lemon||1 Medium|
|Shallots||1 Small, finely chopped|
|Maple syrup/Honey||1 Teaspoon|
|Extra virgin olive oil||5 Tablespoon|
|Ground black pepper||To Taste|
|For the farro|
|Farro||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Boiling water||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), peeled|
|Sea salt||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
1. Boil water in a pot along with garlic and sea salt.
2. Rinse the farro in spring water and then strain and add it to the boiling water, reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered for 30 minutes.
3. Trim the ends of the asparagus and place it in a container or glass, filled with water, this will keep them fresh.
4. Snap the asparagus arrange then in a single layer in the baking pan and generously brush the extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle sea salt.
5. Squeeze the juice of the meyer lemon and finely chop the shallots, cut the cherry tomatoes in half, set aside.
6. Preheat the oven to 500 degree F.
7. Roast the asparagus for 6-7 minutes on the top rack of the preheated oven.
8. Remove and set aside the roasted asparagus.
9. In a bowl combine the shallots, 2 tablespoon of the meyer lemon juice, maple syrup, extra virgin olive oil, sea salt and ground pepper, stir well until everything is well incorporated.
10. Once the farro is ready, remove the garlic clove and strain the water, let it cool for 10 minutes.
11. In the meantime snip the chives in a bowl and set aside.
12. In a large mixing bowl combine farro with half of the vinaigrette, chives and cherry tomatoes and stir it well.
13. Place a ladle full of the farro salad in the center of a serving plate, place little bunch of asparagus on top and sprinkle the crumble feta cheese.
14. Drizzle the remaining vinaigrette dressing on top and sprinkle crushed ground black pepper.
15. Serve this delicious salad along with white wine.
The asparagus tip has to be pale green and dry.
A meyer lemon is a cross between mandarin orange and lemon.
Calories 572 Calories from Fat 342
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 37 g57%
Saturated Fat 6.4 g32.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 25.2 mg8.4%
Sodium 664.6 mg27.7%
Total Carbohydrates 45 g14.8%
Dietary Fiber 6.8 g27%
Sugars 7 g
Protein 15 g29.2%
Vitamin A 33.6% Vitamin C 53.3%
Calcium 22.8% Iron 16.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet