Italian Rice Balls
|Regular rice||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Eggs||4 , separated|
|Shredded provolone cheese||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Mozzarella cheese||8 Ounce, cubed (1 Package)|
|Italian bread crumbs||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Packaged Variety)|
|Vegetable oil/Shortening||2 Cup (32 tbs) (For Deep Frying)|
|Hollandaise sauce mix||1 Ounce (1 Envelope)|
|Chopped parsley||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. Cook rice. Fold in egg yolks and provolone. Shape into 24 balls, using about 1/4 cup for each and placing a cube of mozzarella cheese in the center of each ball (make sure the rice completely covers the cheese).
2. Beat egg whites slightly in a pie plate; place bread crumbs in a second pie plate. Gently roll rice balls in egg white, then in bread crumbs, to coat evenly. Chill at least 1 hour, or until firm.
3. Pour enough vegetable oil or melt enough shortening in a large, heavy saucepan to make a 3-inch depth; heat to 375° on a deep-fat thermometer.
4. Fry rice balls, 2 or 3 at a time, turning once, about 4 minutes, or until golden. Drain on paper toweling; keep warm.
5. While rice balls cook, prepare hollandaise-sauce mix in a small saucepan, stir in parsley.
6. Arrange rice balls on a heated serving platter; spoon sauce over.