Italian Sausage Heroes
|Sweet italian sausages||8|
|Bermuda onion||1 , chopped|
|Green peppers||2 Large, quartered, seeded and sliced|
|Mixed italian herbs||1 Teaspoon, crumbled|
|Tomatoes||2 Large, chopped|
|Hero rolls||2 Large|
|Butter/Margarine||1 Tablespoon, softened|
1. Score the sausages every 1/2 inch; saute slowly in a large skillet for 15 minutes, or until cooked through; drain on paper toweling.
2. Pour off all drippings, then measure 3 tablespoons and return to pan; stir in onion and saute until soft. Stir in peppers, salt, sugar and mixed Italian herbs; cover; cook for 5 minutes.
3. Stir in tomatoes; place sausages on top; cover. Steam 5 minutes or until mixture is bubbly-hot.
4. While the vegetables cook, split hero rolls; cut out center of each half to make a boat shape shell. (Save centers to use for a crumb topper or croutons.) Spread the insides of rolls with butter or margarine; place on a cookie sheet.
5. Heat in moderate oven (350°) 10 mixture into the hollows; top each on serving plates; spoon vegetable mixture into hollows; top each with 2 sausages.