Gnocchi Alla Romana
|Fine semolina||225 Gram (1 cup)|
|Milk||1 Liter (5 cups)|
|Salt||1 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Cheese||225 Gram, grated|
|Freshly grated nutmeg||1⁄4 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Egg||1 Large, beaten|
|Butter||2 Tablespoon (extra)|
|Cheese sauce||6 Tablespoon|
1. Heat milk in a sauce pan and bring to the boil. Stir in semolina with half the butter, salt and pepper with a wooden spoon to prevent lumps forming. Cook over low heat until the mixture comes to the boil and thickens. Continue to stir and cook until the mixture is very thick.
2. Remove from the heat, beat in remaining butter, egg, nutmeg and half the cheese, beat well, mix thoroughly.
3. Turn out the mixture on to a greased tin, spread the mixture about 1/3" thick and leave in a cool place for few hours until firm.
4. Cut into squares about 1 1/2" with a knife or cutter dipped in cold water.
5. Grease a baking dish, arrange gnocchi squares in overlapping circles. Sprinkle remaining cheese, dot with extra butter.
6. Pour cheese sauce over the gnocchi squares. Brown quickly in a. hot oven 220Â°C-425Â°F-gas mark-7 for a few minutes or place under hot grill. Serve immediately.
For Vegetarian Gnocchi
Follow the recipe as above only omit the egg.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3443 Calories from Fat 2030
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 229 g352.4%
Saturated Fat 137.2 g685.9%
Trans Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 827.3 mg275.8%
Sodium 3763.7 mg156.8%
Total Carbohydrates 228 g75.9%
Dietary Fiber 9 g35.8%
Sugars 57.4 g
Protein 126 g251.4%
Vitamin A 135.4% Vitamin C 0.04%
Calcium 290.9% Iron 31%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet