Italian Sausage Twist
|Hot roll mix||13 3⁄4 Ounce (1 package)|
|Pepperoni sausage||1⁄2 Pound|
|Regular all purpose flour||2 Tablespoon|
|Crushed black peppercorns||To Taste|
Day before, or early on day:
1. Prepare hot-roll mix as package label directs, stirring in one of egg yolks. Let dough rise in greased bowl as label directs.
2. Meanwhile, peel casing from sausage. Cut sausage into thin slices, then halve all but 8 of these slices. Lay all, side by side, on paper towels; cover with more paper towels. Pat gently, so towels absorb as much fat as possible; set aside.
3. When dough has risen, turn onto lightly floured surface; knead gently about 1 minute, adding as much flour as needed to prevent sticking; then knead in all the halved sausage slices, a few at a time.
4. Divide dough in half. Roll each half between hands into a strand about 15 inches long; then wind the 2 strands around each other to form a twist; pinch ends together securely. Place twist on greased cookie sheet. Make 8 equidistant slashes, about 1-inch deep and 34-inch wide, across top of twist; insert whole sausage slice in each. Let twist rise in warm place (80Â°F. to 85Â°F.) until doubled in bulk.
5. Meanwhile, start heating oven to 350Â°F.
6. Brush twist all over with 1 egg yolk, beaten with 1 tablespoon water; then sprinkle lightly with crushed peppercorns.
7. Bake twist 35 to 40 minutes, covering it with foil if it starts to get too brown. When done, remove, with large spatula, to wire rack to cool; wrap in foil until served.
8. Serve, cut into slices, with butter. Or reheat, foil-wrapped, in 350Â°F. oven about 15 minutes.