Italian Meat Ball Ragout
|Ground beef||1 Pound|
|Soft bread crumbs||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Parsley||1 Tablespoon, chopped|
|Vegetable oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 Large, chopped|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
|Eggplant||1 Small, pared and diced|
|Tomatoes||1 Can (10 oz)|
|Cumin seeds||1 Teaspoon|
1. Mix ground beef lightly with egg, bread crumbs, parsley and 1 teaspoon of the salt until well-blended; shape into 24 balls.
2. Brown, half at a time, in hot oil in a large frying pan; remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
3. Stir onion and garlic into drippings in pan; saute just until soft; add eggplant and meat balls.
4. Mix tomatoes with remaining 1 teaspoon salt, sugar and cumin seeds; pour over meat balls and eggplant; cover.
5. Simmer, stirring several times, 30 minutes or until eggplant is tender.