Yummy Eggplant Parmigiana
|Eggplants||3 Pound (2 Whole, 1 1/2 Pound Each)|
|Coarse kosher salt||2 Tablespoon|
|Flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Dry bread crumbs||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Olive oil||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Marinara sauce||3 1⁄2 Cup (56 tbs) (Homemade / Jarred)|
|Besciamella sauce||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Shredded mozzarella cheese||8 Ounce (2 Cups)|
|Grated parmesan cheese||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Trim ends and peel skin from eggplant. Slice eggplant into 1/2-inch ounds. Sprinkle with coarse salt and layer in a colander. Place a plate with a weight on top (such as two 1-pound cans) and let drain 35 to 40 minutes. Pat slices dry with paper towels.
2. Spread flour on a flat plate or sheet of wax paper. In a wide shallow bowl, beat eggs and water until well blended. On another plate or piece of wax paper, combine bread crumbs with salt and pepper. Dredge eggplant slices in flour. Dip in beaten egg, then dredge in seasoned bread crumbs; pat gently to help crumbs adhere.
3. In a large frying pan, heat 1/2 cup olive oil over medium heat. Add 3 to 4 slices of eggplant at a time, being careful not to crowd pan, and cook 3 to 4 minutes, or until golden brown on both sides. Remove eggplant to drain on paper towels while cooking remaining pieces, adding remaining 1/4 cup olive oil to pan if needed.
4. Spread 1/2 cup marinara sauce over bottom of 13 x 9-inch baking dish. Place a single layer of eggplant on sauce. Spread 1/2 cup besciamella sauce over eggplant; top with 1 cup marinara sauce, 1/4 cup of the mozzarella, and 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese. Make 3 more layers, ending with the Parmesan cheese.
5. Bake 30 minutes, or until bubbly and brown on top. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Calories 318 Calories from Fat 188
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 21 g32.8%
Saturated Fat 5.7 g28.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 64.8 mg21.6%
Sodium 711.4 mg29.6%
Total Carbohydrates 22 g7.3%
Dietary Fiber 4.4 g17.6%
Sugars 5.8 g
Protein 11 g21.2%
Vitamin A 5.6% Vitamin C 4%
Calcium 20.6% Iron 7.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet