|Yellow cornmeal||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Onion||1 Medium, chopped|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
|Green pepper||1⁄2 , chopped|
|Chopped beef||1 Pound|
|Soft bread crumbs||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Black pepper||To Taste|
1. Mix the meal with one cup of the cold water. Bring the remaining water to a boil with one teaspoon salt. Stir in the meal and cook, stirring, over moderate heat until thick.
2. Preheat oven to moderate (350° F.).
3. Saute the onion, garlic and green pepper in the fat until tender. Add the beef, crumbs, egg and additional salt and pepper to taste. Mix well.
4. Turn half the cornmeal mush into a greased 8 by 4 by 3-inch loaf pan and spread evenly. Arrange the meat mixture on top and cover with the remaining mush.
5. Cover the pan with a piece of greased aluminum foil or brown paper and bake about one hour.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1975 Calories from Fat 865
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 95 g146.8%
Saturated Fat 31.8 g159%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 518.2 mg172.7%
Sodium 920.5 mg38.4%
Total Carbohydrates 158 g52.8%
Dietary Fiber 16.3 g65.1%
Sugars 11.9 g
Protein 115 g230.4%
Vitamin A 10.6% Vitamin C 128.9%
Calcium 14.7% Iron 95.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet