|Yellow cornmeal||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Onion||1 Medium, chopped|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
|Green pepper||1⁄2 , chopped|
|Chopped beef||1 Pound|
|Soft bread crumbs||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Black pepper||To Taste|
1. Mix the meal with one cup of the cold water. Bring the remaining water to a boil with one teaspoon salt. Stir in the meal and cook, stirring, over moderate heat until thick.
2. Preheat oven to moderate (350° F.).
3. Saute the onion, garlic and green pepper in the fat until tender. Add the beef, crumbs, egg and additional salt and pepper to taste. Mix well.
4. Turn half the cornmeal mush into a greased 8 by 4 by 3-inch loaf pan and spread evenly. Arrange the meat mixture on top and cover with the remaining mush.
5. Cover the pan with a piece of greased aluminum foil or brown paper and bake about one hour.