Italian Clam Soup
|Little neck clams||40|
|Olive oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm)|
|Anchovy fillets||3 , chopped|
|Chopped parsley||1 Tablespoon|
|Dry red wine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Tomato paste||1 Tablespoon|
|Warm water||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Thin italian bread slices||8 , fried in olive oil|
1. Wash the clams and scrub well with a vegetable brush.
2. Place the oil in a large saucepan, add the garlic and brown. Discard the garlic. Add the anchovies, parsley and wine to the oil and cook five minutes.
3. Add the tomato paste, water, salt and pepper and cook three to four minutes.
4. Add the clams, cover the pan and cook until all the shells are open, or a maximum of five minutes. Add the oregano and cook two minutes longer.
5. Place two slices fried bread in each soup dish; pour the soup over them.