Italian Pot Roast
|Beef chuck||5 Pound|
|Carrot||4 , chop|
|Yellow onion||1 , slice|
|Garlic cloves||4 Clove (20 gm), chop|
|Dried oregano||1 Teaspoon|
|Beef stock||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Crushed red chili flakes||1 Pinch|
|Crushed tomato can||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Salt & pepper||To Taste|
- Chop the carrots, slice the onion and chop the garlic.
- Place the vegetables into the slow cooker pot.
- Season the vegetables with salt, pepper, oregano and crushed red pepper flakes.
- Trim any excess fat from the beef chuck roast. Season the roast with salt and pepper. Set on top of the vegetables in the slow cooker.
- Pour in the beef stock and crushed tomatoes.
- Cover and set to low for 6 hours until meat is tender.
- Remove the meat from the slow cooker, cover with foil and allow to rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon scoop out the vegetables and place them on a platter.
- Slice the meat and place on top of the vegetables on the platter
- Skim the fat from the liquid left in the slow cooker, and then pour the skimmed au jus into a gravy bowl.
- Serve alongside the meat and vegetables.
This dish is wonderful over buttered egg noodles.
For a healthier option, you can avoid carbs all together and serve this roast with roasted spaghetti squash or mashed cauliflower.
Calories 727 Calories from Fat 462
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 51 g78.8%
Saturated Fat 20.6 g103.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 187.1 mg62.4%
Sodium 309.6 mg12.9%
Total Carbohydrates 8 g2.6%
Dietary Fiber 2 g8.1%
Sugars 1.6 g
Protein 56 g111.9%
Vitamin A 107.3% Vitamin C 9.8%
Calcium 8.5% Iron 31.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet