Cardinal Strawberry Preserves
|Strawberries||1 Cup (16 tbs), crushed|
|Sugar||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
1. Divide whole berries into 3 equal parts.
2. In an 8 quart heavy kettle, place crushed berries and add 1 cup sugar; cook with constant stirring until sugar dissolves and mixture comes to a boil.
3. Then, boil for exactly 4 minutes.
4. Add 1/3 of the whole berries and 1 cup sugar; stir until sugar dissolves and bring mixture back to boil; then, boil for another 4 minutes.
5. Add another 1/3rd of whole berries and 1 cup sugar; stir until sugar dissolves and bring mixture back to boil; then, boil for another 4 minutes.
6. Add the remaining 1/3 of berries and 1 cup sugar; stir until sugar dissolves and bring mixture back to boil; then, boil for last 4 minutes.
7. Stir gently to prevent breaking berries and prevent scorching.
8. Remove pan from heat.
9. Into a flat glass utensil similar to a large cake pan, pour the preserved fruit mixture and let stand for 10-12 hours for the fruits to swell.
10. Into hot sterilized jars, ladle mixture leaving 1/8 inch empty on top.
11. Using a clean and dry kitchen towel, wipe the rim of jar and adjust lid.
12. Into a canner of boiling water, place the jars and process for 5 minutes.
13. Remove jars and place over a clean towel.
14. Let the jars cool down and seal completely until they are self-sealing type.
15. Use Cardinal Strawberry Preserves for making desserts or topping cakes and muffins.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3454 Calories from Fat 28
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 3 g5.2%
Saturated Fat 0.17 g0.84%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 11.2 mg0.5%
Total Carbohydrates 886 g295.3%
Dietary Fiber 22.4 g89.7%
Sugars 854.1 g
Protein 8 g15%
Vitamin A 2.7% Vitamin C 1099.1%
Calcium 18.7% Iron 26%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet