Fig Lemon Preserves
|Figs||6 Quart, peeled|
|Water||6 Quart (boiling)|
|Sugar||8 Cup (128 tbs)|
|Lemons||3 , thinly sliced|
|Sliced preserved ginger||4 Tablespoon|
1. In a saucepan, put together sugar and 3 quarts of water; bring mixture to a boil.
2. Stir in lemon slices and ginger; boil over high heat for 10 minutes.
3. Remove pan from heat and skim top.
4. Remove and discard lemon slices.
5. Return pan to heat and gradually add few figs at a time to ensure mixture keeps boiling.
6. Cook over high heat until mixture is transparent.
7. Remove fig and keep aside in a shallow pan.
8. Boil syrup until it reaches the consistency of honey.
9. Into the pan of figs, pour syrup and let stand overnight.
10. Next morning, heat mixture until boiling.
11. Into hot sterilized jars, ladle mixture leaving 1/8 inch empty on top of the jar.
12. Using a clean and dry kitchen towel, wipe the rim of jar and adjust lid.
13. Into a canner of boiling water, place the jars and process for 5 minutes.
14. Remove jars and place over a clean towel.
15. Let the jars cool down and seal completely until they are self-sealing type.
16. Spread Fig Lemon Preserves over bread and serve.
Calories 44 Calories from Fat 1
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0.07 g0.11%
Saturated Fat 0.01 g0.07%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 0.26 mg0.01%
Total Carbohydrates 11 g3.8%
Dietary Fiber 0.72 g2.9%
Sugars 10.7 g
Protein 0.19 g0.37%
Vitamin A 0.7% Vitamin C 1.7%
Calcium 0.9% Iron 0.52%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet