|Watermelon rind||4 Pound|
|Granulated sugar||4 Pound|
|Water||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Whole lemon||2 , thinly sliced and seeded|
|Vanilla bean||3 (4 Inch)|
1) Peel the rind's outer green skin and remove the inner pink flesh until only the lightest part remains.
2) Dice it into Winch cubes thus making about 10 cups.
3) In a 4- or 5-quart saucepan, cover the watermelon rind with cold water and allow it to come to a boil.
4) Pour it off and again boil, beginning with more cold water.
5) Continue the process once again and this time simmer the rind for 20 minutes before draining it in a sieve.
6) Place the rind back to pan and mask it with granulated sugar and 1 1/2 cups of water.
7) Mix in lemon slices and vanilla bean.
8) Cook the mixture over medium heat, shaking the pan frequently, until the sugar has melted.
9) Uncover and simmer the mixture for about 2 hours, until the syrup registers 234Â° on a candy thermometer or forms a soft ball when a little of it is dropped into cold water.
10) This can be refrigerated in a glass container and kept for as long as a year.
11) Serve the slatko either in a small dish as a dessert or use as a preserve.
Calories 185 Calories from Fat 0
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0.02 g0.03%
Saturated Fat 0 g0%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 38.5 mg1.6%
Total Carbohydrates 47 g15.6%
Dietary Fiber 0.19 g0.76%
Sugars 41.8 g
Protein 0.02 g0.05%
Vitamin A 0.01% Vitamin C 2.5%
Calcium 0.3% Iron 0.09%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet