Iced Ring (With Yeast)
|Plain flour||8 Ounce|
|Sugar||1 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Tepid milk and water||1⁄4 Pint|
|Demerara sugar||1⁄2 Ounce|
|Cinnamon||1 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Salt||1 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Currants||2 Ounce, cleaned|
|Melted butter||2 Ounce|
|Mixed spice||1 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Sifted icing sugar||8 Ounce|
|Warm water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Glace cherries angelica||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
Turn on the oven and set at hot — 425° F.
Grease a baking sheet.
Make dough as follows: 1) Sift the flour and salt into a warmed bowl and allow to stand in a warm place.
The mixture must never be allowed to become too hot.
2) Rub in butter with fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
3) Cream the yeast with the sugar in., a warmed bowl.
Then warm the milk (or milk and water) gently until it is 98° F, or tepid.
4) Stir the tepid milk into the creamed yeast and make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in the milk.
5) Beat dough with the hands until it leaves the sides of the bowl.
Leave dough in a warm place until double its size.
6) Turn dough out onto a floured board.
Knead to a smooth dough.
Put the bowl in a warm place and leave to rise again for 15—20 minutes.
Mix the currants, sugar, cinnamon and mixed spice together with the melted butter.
Roll out the dough into an oblong on a floured board; spread with the currant mixture.
Damp the edges of dough with water and roll up lightly, (beginning at the wide edge.
Form the dough into a ring.
Pinch ends together.
With scissors make cuts two-thirds of the way through the ring.
Leave in a warmlplace on a baking sheet for 10 minutes to prove, then brush with a little milk.
Bake in centre of oven for 25 — 30 minutes.
Make icing as GlacKicing and decorate ring.