Sweet Yeast Dough
|Milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Vegetable shortening||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Active dry yeast||1⁄2 Ounce (2 envelopes)|
|Warm water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Eggs||4 , beaten|
|Sifted all purpose flour||4 1⁄2 Cup (72 tbs)|
1. Combine milk, sugar, salt and shortening in saucepan. Heat just until shortening is melted; cool to lukewarm.
2. Sprinkle yeast into very warm water in a large bowl. ("Very warm water" should feel comfortably warm when dropped on wrist.) Add lukewarm milk mixture, eggs and 2 cups of the flour; beat until smooth. Add just enough of remaining flour to make soft dough.
3. Turn out onto lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes, using only as much flour as needed to keep dough from sticking.
4. Place in large greased bowl; turn to bring greased side up. Cover. Let rise in warm place, away from drafts, 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until double in bulk.
5. Punch dough down; knead a few times; let rest 5 minutes. Shape into butterscotch-nut buns, sugar buns or crumb cakes or buns.
Calories 808 Calories from Fat 294
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 33 g51.2%
Saturated Fat 8.7 g43.4%
Trans Fat 3.6 g
Cholesterol 171.4 mg57.1%
Sodium 458.6 mg19.1%
Total Carbohydrates 108 g36.1%
Dietary Fiber 3.6 g14.5%
Sugars 21.8 g
Protein 18 g36.9%
Vitamin A 4.4% Vitamin C 0.01%
Calcium 6.7% Iron 35.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet