Sweet Yeast Dough
|Vegetable shortening||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Active dry yeast||1⁄2 Ounce (2 Envelopes)|
|Warm water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Eggs||4 , beaten|
|Sifted all purpose flour||4 1⁄2 Cup (72 tbs)|
1. Combine shortening, milk, sugar and salt in saucepan. Heat just until shortening is melted; cool to lukewarm.
2. Sprinkle yeast into very warm water in a large bowl. (Very warm water should feel comfortably warm when dropped on wrist.) Add lukewarm milk mixture, eggs and 2 cups of the flour; beat until smooth. Add just enough of remaining flour to make soft dough.
3. Turn out onto lightly floured pastry board or cloth; knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes, using only enough flour to keep dough from sticking.
4. Place dough in large greased bowl; turn to coat all over with shortening. Cover. Let rise in warm place 1 hour, or until double in bulk.
5. Punch dough down; knead a few times; let rest 5 minutes. Shape into Crumb Cake or Buns