Tomato Pear Preserves
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Tomatoes||9 Medium (Firm Ones)|
|Sugar||5 Cup (80 tbs)|
|Minced crystallized ginger||2 Tablespoon|
1. From lemons, squeeze 3/4 cup juice. Cut peel from lemons into 2" by 1/8" strips.
2. In 2-quart saucepan over medium heat, heat lemon peels and enough water to cover to boiling; reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer 10 minutes or until tender; drain.
3. Meanwhile, peel tomatoes; peel and core pears. Cut tomatoes and pears into bite-sized chunks. In 8-quart Dutch oven or heavy sauce-pot over high heat, heat lemon juice, lemon peels, tomatoes, pears, sugar, and minced crys-talized ginger to boiling. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer, uncovered, stirring often, 2 hours or until fruit is translucent and mixture thickens slightly.
4. Meanwhile, prepare jars and caps for processing
5. With spoon, skim off foam from preserves, if necessary. Immediately ladle hot mixture into hot jars to 1/4 inch from top (keep mixture simmering while filling jars). Close jars as manufacturer directs. Process jars in boiling-water bath 20 minutes; cool jars and test for airtight seal