Vikas Khanna is a New York based Indian chef, cookbook writer, humanitarian and restaurateur, who was born on 14th November 1971, and was brought up in Amritsar district, Punjab, India. He started to gain interest in cooking in a very young age, when he used to help his grandmother in the kitchen, from whom he learnt the ways of using various spices in food preparation. Vikas Khanna started supplying kitchenware to famous Amritsar club when he was only twelve years of age. The chef gained his culinary and academic education from Culinary Institute of America, New York University, and Cornell University.
Chef Vikas Khanna- Career
• Due to keen interest in cooking since childhood, Vikas Khanna started developing his own recipes when he was very young and started his own business by opening Lawrence Gardens Banquets for hosting family function and weddings, at the age of only sixteen years.
• Vikas Khanna completed his graduation from in 1994 from Welcomgroup Graduate School of Hotel Administration. He was quite famous for establishing festival gala by the name “SANCH”, with the aim of bringing together several different traditions and foods from various regions of India. This festival was in huge limelight and is considered to be one of the important events in the calendar of the college.
• Vikas Khanna has worked with well reputed restaurants under world famous chefs in India which include Oberoi, Welcomgroup, Leela Group of Hotels, and Taj.
• In the year 2000, the chef went to New York and established his presence there by working in New York at Salaam Bombay Restaurant, as an executive chef. The chef also works as a consultant for various US restaurants and is quite famous for popularly sold packaged food, Gourmetgurus (self-created).
• Presently, Vikas Khanna is working in Manhattan’s Flatiron district at Junoon as an Executive chef. Also, the chef often goes to various universities across US to give lectures on culinary field.
Chef Vikas Khanna- Cookbook author
As a cookbook author, the chef has authored various books, with “Modern Indian Cooking” and “The Spice Story of India” being the most popular.
Chef Vikas Khanna – Awards and Recognition
Vikas Khanna has received recognition from James Beard Foundation for his unique cooking style. Also the chef has received great appreciation and reviews from his culinary peers and the press.
Chef Vikas Khanna- TV Shows
• Vikas Khanna chef was seen as consultant chef on TV show Kitchen Nightmares by Gordon Ramsay.
• Also he appeared as an Indian cuisine specialist and judge on popular TV show “Hell’s Kitchen”.