Turai sabji is one of the simplest vegetable curries made in North India, made of ridge gourd. It is mildly flaovred with spices.
Ingredients and Preparation
The ridge gourd is peeled and sliced. Indian spices like turmeric, cumin, red chilli powder and coriander seed powder are used. Sometimes cloves are also used. Onion and tomato are also used. Milk is also used.
Traditionally, turai sabji is made in a pressure cooker but it can also be made in a kadhai. Onions are sautéed and all the spices are added. Ridge gourd is also added and cooked till tender.
· Turai sabji is served with hot phulkas or chapattis.
· It can also be served with plain rice or khichadi.
Health and Nutrition Facts
Serving size – 1 bowl
Calories – 50 cal, Fat – 2 g, Protein – 3 g, Carbohydrates – 10 g
· Turai sabji is very low in calories and fat. It is very useful for dieters and weight watchers.
· Ridge gourd is very high in dietary fiber. It helps to lower cholesterol and improves digestion. It eliminates waste from the body.
· It helps in treating urinary disorders and improves the functioning of the kidney and liver.
· It is very rich in vitamins like vitamin C, riboflavin, thiamine and minerals like zinc, magnesium, manganese and iron.
· It has a hypoglycemic effect on the body and helps to lower blood glucose levels.
· The best way to cook turai sabji is by pressure cooking it as it retains the nutrients better than open pan cooking