Hyderabadi food is attributed with the usage of exotic spices, dry fruits and hot gravies belonging to the traditional Hyderabadi cuisine. One of the most popular Hyderabadi foods is Hyderabadi biryani that is famous all over the world. The right amount of cooking at correct temperature is the main culinary characteristic of Hyderabadi recipes that imparts a distinct aroma and flavor in the dishes.
History of Hyderabadi Cuisine
Nizams of Hyderabad and Nawabs of Golconda had created Hyderabadi food that is highly influenced by Awadhi and Mughlai cuisines. This creation dates back to 400 years ago. The spices and herbs used in Telugu and the cuisine of Marthawada are also sparingly used in Hyderabadi food. Hyderabadi recipes are not only popular in the kitchens of Hyderabad city, but the neighboring areas are also influenced by the cuisine of Nizams. City specific dishes are also well-liked in Hyderabad that is prepared with local Hyderabadi styles of cooking.
Ingredients Used in Hyderabadi Foods
The key components in Hyderabadi food is coconut, sesame seeds, peanuts as well as tamarind.
- Various condiments, herbs and almost all Indian spices are used in the cuisine of Hyderabad. Meat and chicken are widely included in non-vegetarian Hyderabadi recipes. Rice is also the main part of Hyderabadi food.
- The most striking feature of the Hyderabadi sweets and other authentic dishes is the use of ‘warq’. Warq is a very fine leaf of silver that is specially garnished over the food to give a royal look to the dish.
Cooking Methods Adapted By Hyderabadi Cuisine
The direct heat from fire is the main method of cooking various Hyderabadi dishes. Hyderabadi recipes involve slow-cooking that is the basis of cooking in the city of Nizams. Earthen pots or copper pots are traditionally used to make food in Hyderabad. The hallmark of Awadhi cuisine known as ‘Dum Pukth’ that is a slow cooking method is adapted in Hyderabad for several Hyderabadi recipes.
Popular Dishes in Hyderabadi Cuisine
- Hyderabadi Biryani – This is one of the most famous Hyderabadi recipes characterized by aromatic and flavorful spices along with mutton and rice.
- Haleem – Wheat and meat are the main components of this traditional Hyderabadi dish. It is typically prepared at the occasion of Ramadan.
- Mutton do pyazah – This is a popular mutton gravy dish that is made by adding onions cuts in 2 (do pyazah) styles.
- Nihari – It is a breakfast dish popular in Hyderabad. It is prepared by using goat’s feet.
Places to Eat Best of Hyderabadi Cuisine
- Paradise – This is the oldest and one of the most popular eating joint for savoring traditional Hyderabadi foods.
- Eat Street – This eating joint is situated in the suburb of Hyderabad and offers various Hyderabadi dishes for local people as well as tourists.
- Kamat Hotel – Hyderabadi food is prepared in the typical style in this eating joint