Goda Masala is a spice mix which is used as a major ingredient in Maharashtra cooking. It is used as a flavor enhancer for most of the curries and lentils. It is made by combining various spices and herbs.
History and Origin of Goda Masala
Goda masala has its origin in the state of Maharashtra in India. It is a traditional spice blend being used since years in Maharashtra and many other Indian states. The ingredients of goda masala recipe change according to the regional preferences and tastes of the people.
Method of Preparation and Ingredients Used in Goda Masala Recipe
The ingredients used in goda masala recipe are coriander seeds, cumin seeds, sesame seeds, cloves, cardamoms, cinnamon, peppercorns, bay leaf and oil. Oil is heated in a pan and all the spices are roasted. The roasted spices are then blended in a mixer to make them in a powdered form. The ingredients of goda masala recipe vary as per the taste and preferences of people.
Culinary Uses Of Goda Masala
- Goda masala is used for adding flavor to many vegetable recipes. It is usually added at the end of the entire process.
- It is used for enhancing tastes of curry based vegetables, soups and stews.
- This spice blend is used for seasoning various chicken dishes and fish curries. It is also used for marinating mutton.
- A pinch of this spice mix gives taste to various yogurt preparations. It is used in boondi raita.
- It is a major ingredient in preparation of traditional dishes such as baakar bhaji (stuffed eggplants) and vangi bhaat.
Buying and Storing Goda Masala
Goda masala can also be bought in a packaged form from the nearby stores. It is important to check the expiry date of this masala pack prior to buying. Also, if there are lumps in the masala, it should be discarded immediately.
This spice mix should be stored properly in an airtight container. It is also important to check the masala once in every two months. Moisture can spoil the aroma and flavor of this spice mix easily.
Nutritional Value of Goda Masala Recipe
Apart from enhancing taste, the spices used in goda masala aid in digestion and give relief in stomach related problems.