Dehradun food is generally cooked in natural ingredients that are commonly available in the woods of the valley. Some of the tasty dishes of Dehradun are Gahat ki Dal, Singal, Aloo ke Gutke, Jhangora ki Kheer, Kumaoni Raita, Sani hui Muli, Singodi, Kandalee ka Saag, Bal Mithai, Kaafli, gulgula, Kulath Phanu, Arsa and Ru. There are quite a few dishes that are unique to Dehradun like the flower based snacks that are made using various types of flowers which are marinated in butter and cooked.
Popular Food Items of Dehradun Cuisine
- Gahat ki Dal : Dal tempered with Gandharein (Angelica Glabris), prepared from Gahat, Cumin (Sauf), Asafoetida (Hing) seeds.
- Aloo ke Gutke : Aloo ke Gutke is a Kumaon snack made using potatoes , cooked with spices, coriander leaves and red chilles.
- Jhangora Ki Kheer : Jhangora Ki Kheer is a sweet dish prepared using milk, dry fruits, sugar and Jangora(local cereal). Commonly served as dessert.
- Churkani : It is a type of bean soup made using a pinch of garam masala(for rustic flavor). It is a popular appetizer in these parts.
- Rus : It is a delicacy made with combination of pulses. It is believed that cookingus in an iron dish enhances its flavor.Ghee is used generously and it is best eaten as a side dish with plain white rice. Its a popular food and especially savored in winter.
- Kulath Phanu : Phanu is a delicacy made using a paste of various Dals . It is similar to ' Kadi' in appearance but itastes very different from ' Kadi'.
- Gulgula : Gulgula can be basically described as a sweet local snack made using jaggery. This dish originated in the Garhwal region of Uttrakhand.
- Kandalee Ka Saag : It is a green leafy vegetable dish that serves as a good accompaniment with most main courses of Dehradun food. The leaves are locally known as Bichhu Ghas and are plucked when they are young.