Capsicum sabji is also called as shimla mirch masala. It is a dry or a wet North Indian curry of capsicum It has the typical flavor of capsicum and Indian spices. It is a simple everyday curry made in combination with other vegetables in every house.
Ingredients and Preparation
Capsicum is the main ingredient of capsicum sabji. Onion, tomato, ginger and garlic are also used. Indian spices like cumin, turmeric, red chilli powder and coriander seed powder are used.
Capsicum sabji is made by cooking onion, tomato, capsicum and all the other spices till cooked. It is best cooked in a covered pan.
· Capsicum sabji is served with roti or paratha.
· It can also be served with rice.
There are many ways to make capsicum sabji
· Besan shimla mirch – Bengal gram flour is cooked along with capsicum. This is slightly sweet and spicy.
· Paneer capsicum – Cottage cheese is cooked with capsicum to make a sabji.
· Corn shimla mirch – sweet corn is cooked along with capsicum.
· Aloo capsicum – This is a popular north Indian dish made specially during winters.
Health and Nutrition Facts
Calories – 85 cal, Fat – 3 g, Carbohydrate – 11 g, Dietary fiber – 2 g
· Capsicum sabji is low in calories and fat. It can be eaten as everyday meal and is good for dieters and weight watchers.
· Capsicum is rich in vitamin A and C. It acts as a powerful antioxidant and helps in protecting the body from free radicals.
· It increases the basal metabolic rate and burns calories faster.
· It helps to lower cholesterol and reduces risks of stroke and acts as a cardio protective.
· It is also known to have a laxative effect and prevents constipation.
· Capsicum also helps to secrete digestive juices and improves digestion.