Cabbage sabji, also called as patta gobhi sabji or bund gobhi sabji is a common everyday curry of North Indian house. It is bright yellow in color and has the flavor of Indian spices. It is a dry curry and is eaten as a main course.
Ingredients and Preparation
Shredded cabbage is the main ingredient for cabbage sabji. Other ingredients like potatoes, green peas or carrots can also be used. Indian spices like turmeric, red chilli powder, coriander seed powder, cumin and asafoetida are added to spice and flavor the dish.
Cabbage sabji is made in a wok. Little oil is heated in a wok and cumin is added. Shredded cabbage along with all the spices is added and cooked till the cabbage is soft and cooked. When cabbage is cooked, the volume of the cabbage is reduced to half.
· Cabbage sabji is served with roti, chapatti or paratha.
· It can also be served with pooris.
· Cabbage poriyal is a type of cabbage sabji made in South India with chana dal and shredded coconut.
· Aloo patta gobhi sabji is made with potatoes and cabbage.
· Patta gobhi matter sabji is made with green peas and cabbage in a similar way.
Health and Nutrition Facts
Serving size – 1 bowl
Calories – 65 g, Fat – 2.5 g, Carbohydrates – 14 g
· Cabbage sabji is low in calories and fat. It is good for weight watchers and people who want to lose weight.
· Cabbage is a rich source of vitamin C. It has more vitamin C than oranges. It not only acts as an immunity booster but also an antioxidant. It helps to reduce free radical damage which causes cancer and also ageing.
· Cabbage is very rich in fiber. It helps to absorb the water and form bulk. It acts as a remedy for constipation.
· It is a rich source of sulphur, which helps to fight infections and heals wounds. It also helps to detoxify the blood.
· It is a good source of vitamin K which helps in prothrombin development. Prothrombin is very important to arrest bleeding quickly.