If you're bored of the regular breakfast dishes, try this new healthy recipe made using jowar. Jowar is a nutritious cereal with plenty of protein, iron and fibre. The vegetables improve its vitamin A, fibre, folic acid and iron. This vegetable porridge accompanied by a fruit is sure to keep you satiated till lunch and prevent you from bingeing on unhealthy mid-morning snacks like biscuits, nuts,chips etc.
|Coarsely powdered jowar||1/2 Cup (8 tbs) (white millet)|
|Water||4 1/2 Cup (72 tbs)|
|Chopped mixed vegetables||1 Cup (16 tbs) (French beans, carrot, green peas and cauliflower)|
|Mustard seeds||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Finely chopped tomato||2 Tablespoon|
|Finely chopped onion||2 Tablespoon|
|Finely chopped coriander||2 Tablespoon|
1. In pressure cooker, add powdered jowar, salt and 3 cups of water. Mix well and pressure cook for 4 whistles.
2. In a deep pan, heat oil, add mustard and asafoetida. Allow the mustard to sputter.
3. Add mixed vegetables and sauté over medium flame for 3-4 minutes.
4. Add cooked jowar mixture, 1 cups of water and salt. Stir occasionally and simmer for 6-7 minutes.
5. Top with the tomato, onion and coriander and serve immediately.
To get cup of coarsely ground jowar, grind cup of jowar in a mixer to a coarse powder.
If the porridge becomes too thick while serving, add more water to get desired consistency.