Special Kerala-Style Sambar
|Toor dhal||100 Gram|
|Okra||4 , sliced into 1 inch bits|
|Ash gourd||250 Gram, chopped|
|Pumpkin||200 Gram, chopped|
|Yam||150 Gram, cubed into 1 inch pieces|
|Drumstick||2 , cut into 2 inch pieces|
|Potato||1 Large, cubed into 1 inch pieces|
|Coconut oil||3 Tablespoon (Or As Required)|
|Mustard seeds||25 Gram|
|Coriander leaves||3⁄4 Bunch (75 gm) (1 Small Bunch)|
|Sambhar powder||3 Tablespoon (Or As Required)|
|Turmeric powder||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Red chili powder||20 Gram|
|Red chilli powder||20 Gram|
|Tomatoes||3 , cut into lengthwise juliennes|
|Onion||3 , cut into lengthwise juliennes|
|Green chillies||5 , slit in the middle (Long Variety)|
|Green chilies||5 , slit in the middle (Long Variety)|
|Fenugreek||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Tamarind||1 Tablespoon (Or To Taste)|
|Water||1⁄2 Liter (Plus More)|
1) Heat a large saucepan. Add 1/2 liter water. Put in dhal, salt, turmeric powder, onion and chillies. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
2) Put in cut vegetables except tomatoes. Let them cook for about 5 minutes. You can cover the pan if you like.
3) Now, add in tomatoes, sambar powder, chilli powder and asafoetida. Continue to simmer for 15 more minutes.
4) In a bowl, mash tamarind flesh with some water. Strain through a sieve and make an extract. Add the extract to the vegetables in the saucepan. Add according to taste. Simmer for 2 more minutes.
5) Mix well and remove from heat.
6) Heat a frying pan. Add in coconut oil. When the oil reaches hazing point, add the garlic cloves, mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds and curry leaves. Temper for 1 minute. Do not let fenugreek seeds to brown, else they will turn bitter.
7) Pour the tempered ingredients over the stewed vegetables. Mix well.
8) Sprinkle coriander leaves on top and serve with steamed rice or idlis.
You can add more water to dilute the dish if you find it thick. A stronger flavor develops after 24 hours. You can refrigerate the dish for 3 to 4 days if you like.
Calories 441 Calories from Fat 128
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 15 g22.8%
Saturated Fat 7 g34.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 373.5 mg15.6%
Total Carbohydrates 65 g21.7%
Dietary Fiber 16.2 g64.9%
Sugars 13.2 g
Protein 18 g37%
Vitamin A 187.2% Vitamin C 150.2%
Calcium 23.9% Iron 27.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet