Cabbage Thoran is a typical vegan Kerala dish. It is usually a dry side dish that accompanies a main meal of rice, sambar and rasam. It is a commonly prepared dish during the festivities of Onam. It is tasty and it can be eaten separately as a salad. Cabbage Thoran is an excellent amalgamation of the flavors of cabbage, coconut and tempered mustard seeds.
250 Gram, finely shredded
6 Small (Sambhar Onion)
6 , slit lengthwise
150 Gram, shredded
1. In a blender, grind coconut, onions and chillis without any water. Remove an keep it ready.
2. Heat a saucepan with coconut oil. When oil reaches hazing point, add mustard seeds and curry leaves. Temper for 1 minute.
3. Now add in the ground coconut-onion-chilli mixture to it. Sauté for 3 to 5 minutes.
4. Add in the shredded cabbage and sauté for 5 to 7 minutes more.
5. Season with salt.
6. Serve as a part of the traditional Onam meal.
Cabbage Thoran is a must have if you are planning on preparing a traditional meal during this Onam.
Kerala-Style Cabbage Sauté
Cabbage Thoran is a classic dish delicately spiced with the traditional Kerala flavors of coconut, garlic, chili and cumin seeds. There are many different ways of preparing a thoran. Some use onions while others use shallots. Watch this video to learn how to make this signature Kerala dish which is served as a side dish in and sadya feast. In a sense, this is actually a dry slaw like dish with coconut. It is quick and easy and mildly spiced. A great way to incorporate cabbage into your everyday meals too. F