This malabar ghee rice is delicious and very tempting. Try this recipe and you will get to know how simple it is to make.
100 Gram, chopped
4 , chopped
50 Gram, chopped
2 1⁄2 Tablespoon
1. In a pan and put 2 teaspoons of dalda and melt it. Add cashew nuts and raisins and lightly fry them. Set aside.
2. Remove them from the heat and transfer to a bowl.
3. In the same pan, add 1 tablespoon of dalda and add onions. Make them little brown and keep aside.
4. In a pressure cooker and put 1 tablespoon of dalda and melt it.
5. Add in the fried onions and stir well.
6. Stir in carrots and pineapple. Add cardamom, pepper, jeera and mix well.
7. Pour water and stir well using a spatula. Add salt and curry leaves.
8. Add in the rice and stir well.
9. Close the lid of the pressure cooker and cook for 15 minutes until you get 3 whistles.
10. Transfer the ghee rice to a serving plate, Garnish with the fried cashews and raisins.
11. Serve the Ghee Rice with curd salad and pickle.
This traditional Malabar Rice dish, is often considered as a vegetarian substitute for biryani and always features on festive occasions in Kerala. It’s rich with hydrogenated vegetable fat, fragrant with spices and sweet with fruits. This recipe is a vegan version using dalda instead of ghee. It’s a great upgrade from the staple rice for special occasions such as family gatherings, parties, or when you have unplanned guests over for dinner. Just having a spicy curry is also enough reason to make this delici