Indian Potato Curry
|Potatoes||2 Large, peeled, cubed and soaked in water|
|Tomato||1 , diced|
|Water||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Ginger||1⁄2 Teaspoon, shredded|
|Mustard seeds||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Chili powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground coriander||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ground cumin||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Coriander||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chopped finely|
1. In a pot, heat oil on high.
2. Add the mustard seeds and allow them to splutter. Turn the heat down to medium.
3. Add the asafoetida powder and turmeric.
4. Add the potatoes and water (the chef has estimated 4 cups, ideally, you want enough water so that the potatoes are almost completely covered). Turn the heat up on high.
5. Add the salt, jaggery, chili powder, ginger, coriander, cumin powder and tomatoes. Stir and allow to cook on high with the pot uncovered, bring to a boil.
6. Once it comes to a boil, turn the stove down to low-medium, bring it down to a simmer and partially cover. Allow to simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
7. Pick up a piece of potato with a spoon, and check to see if it is tender and cooked through.
8. Turn off the stove and add the lemon juice and cilantro to garnish.
9. Serve hot accompanied with chapatis or rice.
For more information please visit: http://thursdayfordinner.com
Calories 145 Calories from Fat 5
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0.64 g0.99%
Saturated Fat 0.1 g0.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 1475 mg61.5%
Total Carbohydrates 34 g11.4%
Dietary Fiber 4.3 g17.2%
Sugars 5.5 g
Protein 4 g7.4%
Vitamin A 10.3% Vitamin C 60.1%
Calcium 3.6% Iron 10.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet