|Bengal gram||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Water||5 Cup (80 tbs)|
|Cumin seeds||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Finely chopped ginger||1⁄2 Inch|
|Turmeric powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Sliced green chili||3|
|Coriander seeds||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Cumin powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Diced coconut||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Whole red chili||2|
1. Mix coriander & cumin seeds powder with red chili powder adding little water. Grind ginger into a paste.
2. Add 5 cups of water into Bengal gram. Add above ground spices, ginger, salt, sugar, green chilies and turmeric powder. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer till cooked but not dissolved.
3. Slice from fresh coconut and cut into 1/4 inch cubes. Fry in butter to light brown. Add fried coconut pieces to the boiled lentil.
4. Heat ghee or butter. Add cumin seeds, bay leaf and whole red chili and fry till splutters and becomes light brown.
5. Pour in the boiled dal and cook in reduced heat for 6/7 minutes or till dal thickens to medium consistency.
Calories 296 Calories from Fat 143
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 17 g25.7%
Saturated Fat 11.1 g55.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 16.1 mg5.4%
Sodium 94.1 mg3.9%
Total Carbohydrates 31 g10.2%
Dietary Fiber 9.7 g38.6%
Sugars 7 g
Protein 9 g17.6%
Vitamin A 1.9% Vitamin C 14.4%
Calcium 6.1% Iron 22.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet