Chicken simmered in rich gravy and loaded with the aroma of Indian spices.
1 1⁄2 , chopped finely
1 Small, chopped finely
1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)
For spice paste
1⁄2 Inch, chopped finely
1. In a blender add chopped ginger, garlic, black peppercorns, cinnamon, black cardamom and cumin seeds. Blend into a smooth paste. Take the paste out in a bowl and set it aside.
2. In another blender add chopped tomatoes and chopped onion. Blend this into a smooth paste.
3. In a bowl add the chicken pieces, blended spice paste, turmeric powder, and coriander powder. Mix everything together.
4. Add yogurt and salt to taste. Mix well. Let the chicken pieces marinate for half an hour.
5. In a hot pan add vegetable oil. When the oil is hot add onion - tomato paste. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until the oil separates from the sauce/gravy.
6. Add the marinated chicken pieces and stir well. Pour water to the marinating bowl to get all the marinade out. Add the water to the pan to get nice thick gravy. Cover with a lid and cook for 10-12 minutes or till the chicken is cooked.
7. Season with salt to taste and stir well.