|Baby eggplants||250 Gram (Brinjals)|
|Salt||1 Teaspoon (to remove the bitterness)|
|Vegetable oil||7 Tablespoon (For deep frying)|
|For the masala paste|
|Poppy seeds||1 Teaspoon (Khus khus)|
|White sesame seeds||1 Teaspoon (til)|
|Roasted peanuts||3 Teaspoon|
|Cumin seeds||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Dessicated coconut||1 Teaspoon|
|Vegetable oil||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Onion||1 Medium, chopped finely|
|Chopped garlic||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Chopped ginger||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Curry leaves||10 (8-10)|
|Red chili powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Turmeric powder||1⁄6 Teaspoon|
|Tamarind paste||4 Tablespoon|
|Chopped coriander leaves||2 Teaspoon|
1. Clean and wash the brinjals and cut them into quarters (but keep the stem intact). Add salt to remove the bitterness.
For Masala Paste
2. In a large non-stick saucepan at medium heat, dry roast the poppy seeds, white sesame seeds, roasted peanuts, cumin seeds, and desiccated coconut, one by one separately for 1 minute or till slightly darker.
3. Then roast chopped onion in ½ tsp of vegetable oil till they are slightly soft and golden in color.
4. Grind all the spices and onion into a fine paste. Set it aside.
5. Wash the brinjals to remove the excess salt.
6. In another pan add vegetable oil and fry the brinjals till they are soft and brown. Set it aside.
7. Remove most of the oil from the pan till about 1½ tsp is left. Into the pan add curry leaves and fry for about 10 seconds.
8. Then add chopped ginger and chopped garlic. Stir for few seconds.
9. Now stir in the spice mix paste made earlier. Add red chili powder, turmeric powder, and salt to taste. Mix well.
10. Add tamarind paste and leave it on low heat till the thin layer of oil appears on the bottom surface. When the gravy starts to dry add water (20 ml) to avoid the burning of spices.
11. Now add the brinjals pieces and mix well. Do not cook on a high heat. Cover the pan and leave for 4-5 minutes.
12. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot.
Calories 255 Calories from Fat 130
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 15 g23.3%
Saturated Fat 2.3 g11.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 1241.1 mg51.7%
Total Carbohydrates 28 g9.4%
Dietary Fiber 8.4 g33.5%
Sugars 8.9 g
Protein 7 g13.2%
Vitamin A 8.9% Vitamin C 23.3%
Calcium 12.4% Iron 21.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet