|Raw rice||1 Cup (16 tbs), washed, drained|
|Split moong dal||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Jaggery||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), shaved|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Cardamom powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Milk||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Ghee||2 Tablespoon, divided|
|Cashews||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), sliced|
|Raisins||2 Tablespoon (Optional)|
1. In a pressure cooker add 1 tablespoon ghee. Put in the moong dal and roast it till browned. Add the rice, salt and water. Close the lid and cook up to 3 whistles. Turn off the heat and let the pressure die down.
2. In a thick bottomed pan, put jaggery with little water. Let it melt and come to boil. Stir frequently to avoid sticking to the bottom and getting burnt. Once boiled, turn off the heat.
3. Open the lid of the pressure cooker and mash the rice and moong dal well. Strain the melted jaggery into the cooker. Add the cardamom powder, stir well to mix.
4. Place it back on medium heat, pour milk and cook for another 5 minutes. Stir frequently to avoid sticking to the bottom. Add ghee (about 1/2 tablespoon) little by little and stir well while cooking.
5. In a frying pan heat 1/2 tablespoon ghee and fry the cashew and raisins (if using) till golden brown and puffed. Pour it into the pressure cooker and stir well. Turn off the heat.
6. In a serving bowl, serve the pongal warm as a dessert.
Calories 493 Calories from Fat 104
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 12 g18.4%
Saturated Fat 5.6 g28.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 21.5 mg7.2%
Sodium 105.2 mg4.4%
Total Carbohydrates 91 g30.3%
Dietary Fiber 2.4 g9.6%
Sugars 39.5 g
Protein 9 g17.3%
Vitamin A 2.3% Vitamin C 0.79%
Calcium 9% Iron 11.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet