Vegetable Saagu - Mixed Vegetable Curry
|Chopped potato||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chopped carrot||1⁄8 Cup (2 tbs)|
|Chopped capsicum||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Cauliflower florets||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|For the masala|
|Cinnamon stick||1 Small|
|Coriander seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Poppy seeds||1 Tablespoon|
|Green chillies||8 Small, halved (more or less to taste)|
|Ginger piece||1 Inch|
|Curry leaves||4 Medium|
|Fresh coconut||2 Tablespoon|
|Turmeric powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|For the seasonings|
|Mustard seeds||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Cumin seeds||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Sliced onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. In a pan place the cinnamon stick, cloves and coriander seeds and fry them 2-3 minutes on low to medium heat, stirring constantly.
2. Add poppy seeds and fry until golden in color. Add green chilies and ginger and fry for 30 seconds.
3. Add coconut and fry for 30 seconds then add cilantro leaves, curry leaves and stir.
4. Add turmeric powder and roasted chana dal (dalia) and stir. Turn off the heat when done and allow the masala to cool completely.
5. In the meantime in the pressure cooker add ghee and mustard seeds and allow it to pop, add cumin seeds, followed by asafoetida. Add onions and fry for 3 minutes or until soft.
6. In the blender add the cooled masala and blend until all ingredients are combined and then pour ½ cup water and continue to blend into smooth paste consistency.
7. Add the blender puree to the onions and fry for 1 minute and add 1 cup of water followed by carrots, potatoes, green peppers (capsicum) and cauliflower. Stir everything until well coated.
8. Season with salt and cover the pressure cooker. Cook until you hear one whistle.
9. Turn off the heat and allow the steam to settle down completely. Open and transfer in a serving bowl.
10. Serve with Methi Thepla.
Calories 204 Calories from Fat 98
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 11 g17.7%
Saturated Fat 6.4 g32%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 13.4 mg4.5%
Sodium 675.1 mg28.1%
Total Carbohydrates 24 g8.1%
Dietary Fiber 7.6 g30.5%
Sugars 4.2 g
Protein 5 g10.3%
Vitamin A 29.8% Vitamin C 125.5%
Calcium 13.1% Iron 16.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet