Kathirikai Rasavangi - Baby Eggplants in Spicy Tamarind Sauce
|Oil||2 Tablespoon, divided|
|For the dal|
|Toor dal||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), washed (and drianed)|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|For the eggplants|
|Baby eggplants||4 Medium, slice (1/2 inch thick slices)|
|Turmeric powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|For the seasoning|
|Fenugreek seeds||15 Small|
|Chana dal||1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Urad dal||1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Coriander seeds||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Dry red chillies||7 Small|
|Fresh coconut||3 Tablespoon, grated|
|Tamarind paste||1 Teaspoon|
|Jaggery||1⁄2 Tablespoon, grated|
|For the tadka|
|Mustard seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Curry leaves sprigs||1 Medium|
|Green chillies||4 Small|
1. In the pressure cooker pour water and place a bowl in the center, place the dal in the bowl and pour ½ cup of water, close the lid. Allow it to cook until you here 4 whistles.
2. In a saucepan boil the eggplants in ½ cup of water and add turmeric powder and peanut. Cook until the eggplants are 70 percent cooked.
3. In a pan pour 2 teaspoon of oil and over medium heat, add in fenugreek seeds, chana dal, urad dal and coriander seeds, and fry till dals slightly change to golden.
4. Add dry red chilies and fry for few seconds. Add coconut and until fragrant. Once done cool the roasted ingredients.
5. Once cooled blend them in a spice grinder until fine powder, set aside.
6. Once the dal is cooked allow the steam to settle and open the lid. Mash the dal with hand blender or masher until smooth.
7. Add the dal to the eggplants followed by tamarind paste, salt, ground masala and jaggery. Simmer the curry for 5 minutes.
8. In a small tadka pan pour the remaining oil and add the mustard seeds allow it to pop and then add asafoetida, green chilies, curry leaves and cilantro.
9. Pour the seasoning over the simmering curry and turn off the heat.
10. Serve with hot steamed rice and papad.
Calories 315 Calories from Fat 142
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 16 g25.4%
Saturated Fat 5 g25.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 116.7 mg4.9%
Total Carbohydrates 38 g12.7%
Dietary Fiber 17.5 g69.9%
Sugars 12.2 g
Protein 10 g20.7%
Vitamin A 18.1% Vitamin C 36.7%
Calcium 8.5% Iron 15.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet