Chitrannam - Mama's Lemon Rice
|Basmati rice||1 Cup (16 tbs), soaked (for 30 minutes and then drained)|
|Oil||2 Tablespoon, divided|
|Mustard seeds||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Cumin seeds||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Dry red chillies||4 Medium (2-4)|
|Chana dal||1 Teaspoon|
|Urad dal||1 Teaspoon|
|Turmeric powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Curry leaves sprig||1 Medium|
|Lemon juice||2 Tablespoon (or to taste)|
|Baby eggplant||2 Small, sliced|
|Potato||1 Small, thinly sliced|
|Water||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|For the green paste|
|Green chillies||8 Medium|
|Cilantro||2 Tablespoon, finely chopped|
|Grated coconut||2 Tablespoon|
1. In the rice cooker pour water and add the soaked and drained basmati rice, cook the rice until cooked.
For the paste
2. In a blender add green chili, coconut, cilantro and salt, blend until smooth paste consistency.
3. In a sauce pan pour oil and add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, dry red chilies, asafoetida, chana dal, urad dal, curry leaves. turmeric powder.
4. Fry everything until the dal changes color to golden, add potatoes and eggplants and cover the saucepan, over low to medium heat, cook the vegetables until tender.
5. Once the vegetables are done transfer in a large bowl and in the same pan add 2 teaspoon of oil and add the green paste, cook for few seconds and then transfer in a small bowl.
6. Once the rice is done add it to the vegetables mixture and stir everything gently, add the green paste and stir everything until well combined.
7. Add lemon juice gradually and mix well.
8. Serve with a lime wedge on the side.
If using pressure cooker cook for 10 minutes or until you hear the first whistle.
Calories 473 Calories from Fat 129
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 15 g22.9%
Saturated Fat 4.5 g22.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 153.9 mg6.4%
Total Carbohydrates 78 g26.1%
Dietary Fiber 10.2 g40.9%
Sugars 8.6 g
Protein 10 g19.7%
Vitamin A 41.7% Vitamin C 250.2%
Calcium 7.8% Iron 19.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet