Kheema (Mutton Mince) Biryani
|Biryani masala||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Chopped coriander leaves||1 Teaspoon|
|For the rice|
|Ghee/Vegetable oil||1 Teaspoon|
|Spice mix||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Basmati rice||150 Gram, washed, soaked & drained|
|Lime juice||1 Teaspoon|
|For the keema masala|
|Vegetable oil||1 Teaspoon|
|Onion||1⁄2 Small, roughly chopped|
|Garlic||6 Clove (30 gm), roughly chopped|
|Green chili||2 Small, roughly chopped|
|Turmeric powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Coriander powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Chili powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Tomato||1 Medium, finely chopped|
|Cashew nuts||4 Small|
|Natural yogurt||1 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 Small, thinly sliced (Optional)|
1. Heat ghee in a pan and add spice powder. Stir fry for 30 seconds and add rice. Stir fry rice in high flame for about 2-3 minutes. Add about double the quantity of water, salt to taste and lime juice; cook until done. Remove from heat and separate with fork; set aside. (you can cook rice in pressure cooker too, if you wish)
For the keema masala
2. In the meanwhile, in a blender put together onion, garlic and green chili and with no or less water make a thick paste. Keep aside.
3. Ground cashew nuts in mortar with some water in to a thick paste and keep aside.
4. Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan; stir fry the onion paste until a nice flavor comes out.
5. To this add turmeric, coriander and chili power; sauté for a minute or so.
6. Add chopped tomatoes and cook until mushy. To this add ground cashew nut paste, mix well to combine.
7. Now put the kheema and using the ladle keep mashing it to not let the mince stick together. Add about less than a quarter cup of water, salt, at this stage and let the kheema cook through. (I cooked it until it was almost dry and roasted, but if you want a lighter consistency you can stop there)
8. Add yogurt and coriander leaves; mix well but do not boil. Switch off and remove from stove.
9. Grease the bottom of the pressure cooker with ghee or oil.
10.Divide the kheema and rice into 2 equal portions for layering. Now, start with a layer of Kheema at the bottom of the pressure cooker, followed by a layer of rice, a sprinkle of chopped coriander, followed by another layer of kheema and rice. Top it with coriander leaves, and biryani masala.
11.Close and in very low heat, cook for 5-10 minutes. Open only when ready to serve and using a ladle combine well before serving.
12.Serve warm with cold raita and tangy lime pickle. Bon appetite!
I do not like biting into whole spices and hence I use the powdered form. You can substitute this with whole dried spices.
You can replace turmeric, coriander and chili powder with about 2 tsp of curry powder too.
Calories 406 Calories from Fat 77
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 9 g13.8%
Saturated Fat 2.6 g13.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 7.7 mg2.6%
Sodium 270.2 mg11.3%
Total Carbohydrates 73 g24.5%
Dietary Fiber 4.6 g18.5%
Sugars 3.6 g
Protein 9 g17.2%
Vitamin A 26.1% Vitamin C 32.4%
Calcium 10.1% Iron 12%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet