Kerala Style - Uzhunnu Vada
|For the batter|
|Urad dal||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Uzhunnu - Soaked in water overnight or at least for 5 - 6 hours, drained)|
|Onion||1 Large, chopped finely|
|Ginger||1 Inch, chopped finely|
|Green chilies||2 Medium, chopped finely|
|Curry leaves||6 Medium|
|Rice flour||1 Teaspoon|
|Black pepper powder||1 Pinch|
|Oil||1 Cup (16 tbs) (For deep frying)|
To prepare the batter:
1. Into a wet grinder, add the urad dal and grind for about 15 - 20 minutes (without water) to get a thick smooth paste. (If using a regular blender, you may add 2 - 3 tablespoons of water. Blending with minimum amount of water would yield best results)
2. Once blended well, transfer the batter into a bowl. Add in the onions, ginger, green chillies, curry leaves and salt. Mix well. (Make sure to mix rapidly and continuously for about 5 minutes. This is important for those grinding in a regular blender)
3. Heat oil in a pot for frying.
4. Moisten the vada maker mold, fill with the batter.
5. When the oil is hot, take the mold and press the lever down to release vada shaped batter into the oil. (If using your hands to mold the vadas, apply some water on your palms. Take a small quantity of the batter and make a ball with it. Now with your thumb flatten it slightly and make a hole in the centre. Carefully slide into the oil) Fry until golden brown.
6. Once done, remove the fried vadas into a paper towel to drain the excess oil.
7. Serve hot with sambar or coconut chutney.
The right consistency of the batter (with less or no water) is very important to get the shape and texture of the vada perfectly.
Wet Grinder - used for grinding pulses without the requirement to add water (You may use a regular blender, but make sure you add very little water)
Calories 106 Calories from Fat 22
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 3 g3.9%
Saturated Fat 0.37 g1.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 48 mg2%
Total Carbohydrates 15 g5.1%
Dietary Fiber 3.9 g15.6%
Sugars 1.9 g
Protein 5 g9.8%
Vitamin A 6.3% Vitamin C 20.1%
Calcium 10.6% Iron 2.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet