Mamma No Simla Marcha Bharelo Pulao
|Ghee||1 Cup (16 tbs) (For deep frying)|
|Mutton mince||1⁄2 Kilogram|
|Basmati rice||450 Gram|
|Mace powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Curds||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. Chop the onions in slices, and slowly cook them in one cup ghee. Add the whole spices and washed rice and cook till soft. The rice should not be lumpy, or soggy or spongy. Spread it out on a large thali.
2. Wash the capsicums, remove seeds and the stalks carefully by keeping some of the capsicums attached to the stalk, as you will need it to act as a cover for the stuffed capsicum.3. Stuff all the capsicums carefully with the mince and recap with the stalk covers.
4. Take a wide mouthed vessel and arrange the capsicums in circles so they do not over balance. Pour some oil in the dekchi from the sides. Cover and cook over a slow fire and keep adding a little water and fine salt as needed. The capsicums have to be soft. If you don't cook them properly, the taste and pleasure in eating the dish will be lost.
5. Chop the tomatoes finely after skinning and deseeding them. Mix in the sugar, coarsely ground shahajeera and the mace powder. Add beaten curds. Sprinkle this mixture on the rice. Mix carefully so the rice is not broken.
6. Grease the bottom of a large flat vessel with oil. Spread some of the rice mixture on its base and make 15 holes. Place the capsicums in the holes and cover almost all the way upto the top with rice. Do not cover the capsicums. The tops and the stalks should be seen. Cover the vessel.
7. Place the vessel on top of another large vessel half full of water. Allow the water to boil and cook the dish in its steam for half an hour.
8. Serve hot with dhansakh dal.
This unusual dish is a great favourite with my family because, it is cooked so rarely. However, my brother, Sohraab is allergic to capsicums. So be careful when you serve it at parties.
Calories 429 Calories from Fat 144
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 16 g25%
Saturated Fat 5.6 g28.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 46.5 mg15.5%
Sodium 104.9 mg4.4%
Total Carbohydrates 54 g18%
Dietary Fiber 6.8 g27%
Sugars 13.4 g
Protein 18 g36.8%
Vitamin A 28% Vitamin C 324.9%
Calcium 11.3% Iron 10.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet