Bufenu ( Ripe Mango Pickle In Oil )
|Mustard powder||200 Gram|
|Cumin seeds||150 Gram|
|Chili powder||3 Tablespoon|
|Turmeric powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Sugar cane vinegar||2 Teaspoon|
|Sesame oil/Til oil||2 Kilogram|
1. Wash the mangoes and dry them gently with a soft cloth and set aside.
2. Take a large bowl and place the mustard powder in it along with 1 cup of oil and beat well with a spoon.
3. Crush the garlic, cumin, cinnamon and cloves coarsely and set aside. Use half a cup vinegar or dry crush.
4. Place oil in a large vessel on the stove. When the oil becomes hot, drop the mangoes one by one carefully into the vessel. Lower the flame and cook the mangoes in the oil turning them over several times till they are nice and red on the outside. Cover the pan and turn off the stove. Remove mangoes with a slotted spoon and place in a thali.
5. The next day, heat the jaggery and half a bottle vinegar in a saucepan. Allow the mixture to boil well. Then cool it.
6. Take a large thali and pour in all the ingredients such as the mustard and oil mixture, the vinegar and jaggery mixture, the crushed garlic, cumin, cinnamon and cloves and salt to taste. Mix vigorously with the palm of your hand. Add the chilli and turmeric powders also. When the mixture is nice and thick pour in one cup of the oil in which the mangoes were fried. Mix well again.
7. Take a large mouthed tall glass jar. Pour in one cup of the mixture at the base and arrange the six mangoes in the jar. Pour the mixture over the mangoes. They should be totally covered. Cover the mangoes with any leftover oil in which the mangoes had been fried.
8. Eat after two months.