Medu Vada & Mysore Bonda - Urad Daal Vada
|For the batter|
|Urad dal||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Black gram)|
|Tuvar dal||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (As needed to grind the batter)|
|Spices for the batter|
|Onion||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chopped finely|
|Coriander leaves||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chopped finely|
|Ginger paste/Minced ginger||To Taste|
|Green chili paste/Minced green chilies||To Taste|
|Shredded coconut||1 Tablespoon|
|Cumin seeds||1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Curry leaves||5 Medium, torn|
|For frying the vadas|
|Oil||2 Cup (32 tbs) (As needed for deep frying)|
1. Wash and soak the rice and dal in water for a couple of hours.
2. After a couple of hours, drain (saving very little water as needed for the grinding process), in a grinder (juicer) grind the rice and dal to a thick and fine consistency batter.
3. Transfer the batter into a mixing bowl.
4. Into the batter, add the finely chopped onions, finely chopped coriander leaves, ginger and green chili paste, shredded coconut, cumin seeds, salt and a few curry leaves. Stir lightly in one direction to combine the ingredients.
5. Heat oil in a pan for frying. Once the oil is hot enough, moisten your hands with water and drop small portions of the batter carefully into the hot oil.
6. Fry till golden brown. Remove the Mysore bondas into a kitchen paper towel to remove the excess oil.
7. To make the medu vada, fill the batter into the vada maker, and release into the hot oil in batches. Fry until golden brown on both sides and remove on to a paper towel.
8. Serve the medu vadas and Mysore bondas, for breakfast with sambar and coconut chutney or as an appetizer or snack.
Traditionally medu vada is prepared with only urad dal.
2. Medu vada maker (If not available - you can make the medu vadas using your hands as well)
Calories 148 Calories from Fat 49
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 6 g8.5%
Saturated Fat 1.1 g5.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 52.1 mg2.2%
Total Carbohydrates 18 g6%
Dietary Fiber 4.4 g17.5%
Sugars 0.7 g
Protein 6 g12%
Vitamin A 6.6% Vitamin C 0.87%
Calcium 11.4% Iron 6.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet