High-Fiber Gravy Of Kidney Beans & Turnips
|Kidney beans||250 Gram ((washed and soaked overnight))|
|Turnips||500 Gram ((cut into quarters))|
|Onions||2 Medium (Thinly sliced)|
|Garlic cloves||5 (finely chopped)|
|Kashmiri red chili powder||3 Teaspoon|
|Garam masala powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Coriander powder||1 Tablespoon (Leveled)|
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Black cumin||1 Teaspoon|
1. Soak the red kidney beans overnight in twice the amount of water. Throw away the water before you start cooking them
2. Cut the turnips into quarters or halves (depending on their size), after slicing off their top and bottom.
3. Peel and thinly slice the onions.
4. Chop garlic into fine pieces.
1. Take the soaked beans and put them in a pressure cooker along with 5 cups of water and one and a half tablespoon of salt. Pressure cook for 30 minutes (on high heat for 10 min and, thereafter, on low heat).
2. Add the quartered turnips to the pressure cooker and keep aside.
3. Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a pan. Add black cumin (zeera) and asafoetida to the oil and allow the cumin seeds to crackle for 5 seconds.
4. Add garlic and sauté it for 30 seconds.
5. Add onions and sauté till the onions turn golden brown in color.
6. Now add the remaining salt, Kashmiri red chili powder, Garam Masala powder and coriander powder to the pan and sauté for 3 minutes on medium heat.
7. Add the onion and spices mixture to beans and turnip in the pressure cooker and stir thoroughly. At this stage, you can adjust the consistency of the gravy by adding water to it.
8. Pressure cook the beans and turnip for another 10 minutes and release the pressure immediately after turning the heat off.
Pour the beans and turnip gravy into a bowl and serve it hot with boiled rice and salad.
1. You can use chopped coriander leaves to garnish the gravy before serving it although it tastes just fine as it is.
2. If you want to serve this dish with chapati or parathas, you can make it thicker by either boiling it for longer or adding less water to it.
Calories 285 Calories from Fat 45
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 5 g8.2%
Saturated Fat 0.64 g3.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 275 mg11.5%
Total Carbohydrates 49 g16.2%
Dietary Fiber 12.8 g51%
Sugars 7.5 g
Protein 14 g28.8%
Vitamin A 19% Vitamin C 51.2%
Calcium 14.9% Iron 25.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet