Tri Colour Coconut Rice In A Jiffy!
|Freshly grated coconut||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Cooked medium grain rice/Basmati rice||1 Cup (16 tbs) (soaked in water for at least 20 min to ½ an hour and cooked such that grains remain separated.)|
|Split black gram||1⁄2 Teaspoon (urad dal)|
|Green chillies||3 Medium|
|Mustard seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Asafoetida powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Curry leaves||1 Teaspoon|
|Ghee/Vegetable oil||2 Teaspoon|
1. Heat ½ tbsp of ghee or vegetable oil in a wok, splutter mustard seeds, add the split gram dal and fry till color changes.
2. Add the asafoetida powder, followed by the curry leaves and green chilies and fry for a few seconds
4. Add the grated coconut and sauté till slightly golden brown
5. Mix in the cooked rice with a gentle hand and season with salt according to taste
6. Freshly grated coconut and carrots may be used as topping for added color and flavor
Garnish with dry roasted pumpkin seeds or crushed roasted peanuts for additional crunch as well as to enhance nutritional value of the dish.