Baby Uttapams with a Spicy Twist
|Rice||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Urad dal||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Red chillies||2 Medium, cut into 2-3 pieces (fresh)|
|Garlic||4 Clove (20 gm)|
|Fresh lemon juice||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Fresh green peas||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), shelled|
|Green chili||2 Medium, cut into 2-3 pieces|
|Fennel seeds||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Cumin seeds||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Mustard seeds||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Fresh coriander leaves||1 Teaspoon, finely chopped|
|Chat masala||To Taste|
1) Soak the rice and urad dal in about eight cups of water overnight. Drain and grind them together using a little water into a smooth paste.
2) In a deep vessel, cover and keep the batter to ferment for a minimum of 6 to 8 hours or overnight in a warm place.
3) In a large bowl,combine the required quantity of batter, salt to taste and sufficient water to get the desired consistency and mix well. Set aside
4) In a mixer-grinder bowl, coarsely grind the green peas and green chilies together. Remove from the mixer bowl and set aside.
5) In another small mixer-grinder bowl, grind the red chilies and garlic with a little salt into a smooth paste. Remove from the mixer bowl and set aside.
For Green Peas Topping:
6) In a non-stick pan, gently heat about 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoon oil. Add the fennel seeds and 1/2 of the cumin seeds, allow to splatter. Immediately stir in the green peas-chili mixture and season with salt and chat masala to taste. Allow to cook for about 5 to 8 minutes until the green peas are cooked. Stir in the chopped coriander and set aside.
For Red Chili Chutney:
7) In a small pan, gently heat about 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon oil. Add the cumin seeds and mustard seeds, allow them to splatter. Quickly stir in the red chili-garlic paste and cook for about 3 to 5 minutes. Turn off the heat, add the lemon juice and adjust salt to taste.
For Baby Uttapams :
8) Heat a non-stick pan and put a few drops of oil, swirl to evenly spread the oil all over the pan. Pour half a ladleful of batter and spread it into a three inch round. Make as many as would fit on the pan. Flip side and cook evenly on both sides. Remove from the pan and set aside.
9) Spread 1 teaspoon of the green peas topping on each uttapam and add a little red chutney in the center of the green peas topping. Serve immediately.
Reduce the quantity of green chilies in the peas if you want to make less spicy.
Add more lemon juice to the red chili chutney if the chilies are too hot.
Calories 294 Calories from Fat 23
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 3 g4%
Saturated Fat 0.42 g2.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 63.4 mg2.6%
Total Carbohydrates 56 g18.5%
Dietary Fiber 5.8 g23%
Sugars 1.9 g
Protein 10 g20.1%
Vitamin A 12% Vitamin C 43.9%
Calcium 14.9% Iron 7.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet