Indian Tricolour Rice - Coriander, Coconut and Tomato Layered Rice
|Basmati rice||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|For coconut rice|
|Coconut milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|For tomato rice|
|Onion||1⁄2 Medium, finely chopped|
|Tomato||1 Medium, finely chopped|
|Green chili||1 Medium, finely chopped|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), finely chopped|
|Lime||1⁄4 Medium, juiced|
|Mustard seed||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Turmeric powder||1 Pinch|
|Chilli powder||1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|For coriander rice|
|Coriander chutney||3 Tablespoon|
1. Clean the rice and soak it in water for about 15 min. Drain and pressure cook with coconut milk and water. When done, divide the rice into 3 equal portions, one reserved for coconut rice itself.
For Tomato Rice:
2. Heat a pan with olive oil, splutter mustard seeds. Stir fry the onions, add chilies, garlic and cook for another couple of minutes.
3. Add the tomatoes and cook until you get one mushy mix. Add turmeric powder and chilli powder; mix well to combine.
4. Add one portion of coconut rice, mix well so that the rice takes in the colour and flavour. Finish off with lime juice. Keep aside.
For Coriander Rice:
5. In the same pan, add the coriander chutney, and when it starts to bubble, add the other portion of rice. Mix well for the rice to soak in the flavour and colour.
You may check here for coriander chutney recipe
6. Take a mould of any shape and using a spoon, start layering the rice with tomato rice in the bottom, followed by coconut rice and coriander rice. After every layer, make sure to press down the rice, so that when you empty the mould the rice retains the shape.
7. Serve it warm and as I said already, ensure each spoon contains all three flavors to enjoy it the best!
You may as well choose to cook the rice separately for each variety, however, I found this to be an easy way and coconut flavor in coriander and tomato rice only enhances the taste.
Instead of coconut rice, you can settle for plain steamed rice too, however former gives better flavor.
Calories 304 Calories from Fat 139
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 16 g25.1%
Saturated Fat 10 g50%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 753.8 mg31.4%
Total Carbohydrates 37 g12.4%
Dietary Fiber 4.7 g18.9%
Sugars 4.7 g
Protein 5 g9.8%
Vitamin A 23.3% Vitamin C 48.4%
Calcium 5.1% Iron 10.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet